The Hungry Soul

ImageWhat satisfies one’s soul?

The answer may shock you. Anything can satisfy your soul. We will always search for satisfaction. Satisfaction can be found in sin. This however is a short-lived and regenerative quench. It will make you hunger more and more. You will become addicted to sin, because it causes your thirst and appetite to increase. Not only does sin attach itself to you and becomes an addiction, but sin starves your soul. Though sin seems to satisfy one’s soul, it is in fact emptying it out, creating a stronger hunger. Therefore, sin does two things. It makes one hungrier and leaving the soul with an addiction, causes the individual to desperately fill his or her hunger in the quickest way, by sinning once more.

I am not speaking about a sexual sin specifically. I am speaking about the idols we hold to in our lives. Sin can be your quick temper. Sin can be your obsessiveness with fitness. Sin can be as simple as following the crowd. Sin is simply going contrary to faith and trust in God.

One may argue that they do not sin. My friend, if you are not being fully satisfied in the love of God, you are in sin. If you are not abiding in the love of God, you are abiding elsewhere. Deadly sin or not, you belong to your Father who art in heaven! Live as a child of God ought to. There is no “ifs, ands or butts,” if you are not in faith, you are in doubt. Sin is simply unbelief in Jesus Christ, whom the Father sent as a sacrifice for our sins. At the end of this age, it will not necessarily be a matter of the weight of your sin, but the weight of your defense. In the eyes of God, there is only One qualified to stand as an Intercessor. He is your defense attorney who has never lost a case! (Carman)

The question however remains to be that the soul is hungry. It must be filled with something. If one isn’t be satisfied by the love of God, they will be seeking and searching an output for their hunger. But real and permanent satisfaction will only occur when we fill the source of the hunger.

The hunger of your soul sources from the innate desire to know and be with God. Do you realize you are a designed creation! Do you realize you were in fact made by God, for God! You were not always a sinner, empty-handed. You were once experiencing the fullness of His glory as He permitted! This divine state that you were created in is the hunger of your soul! You have this innate desire to know God, because you once knew God! Though man was stripped of His righteousness through disobedience, it has been returned to us by way of Jesus Christ!

Knowing God is not merely knowledge about God. Knowing God is experiencing a new birth through the Spirit of God! Thus forth, it is having an ever-increasing, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 3:18). The knowledge of God is satisfaction; it meets the true definition of satisfaction- contentment. There is no other fulfillment that will cause us to be content. No other pleasure will bring us contentment, because every other pleasure, if not ultimately satisfied by the love of God, will arouse more hunger. Sin has a whiplash effect; it causes immediate hunger. Sin starves the soul! If we understood this truth, why would we ever entertain the thought of sin. To the Christian, it is a very contrary lifestyle. Don’t wonder why you feel spiritually stale if you are entertaining sin. Once again, bear in mind, sin is any idol in one’s life. It is simply unbelief; it is trying to fill our hunger with other pleasures. This can be anything, not necessarily evil, as we tend to associate sin with. If you feed the flesh, you will starve the spirit, but if you starve the flesh, you feed the spirit!

At the well in Sycher, Jesus met a Samaritan woman (John 4). He asked her if she wanted to drink from a well that never runs dry (my paraphrase). He offered her a water that would make her content. “Whoever drinks the water that I give, will never thirst again” (John 4:13). She replied with great wonder, “Sir, give me this water, so that I won’t get thirsty (John 4:15). Jesus assuredly told her, “I am He, the living water!” (John 4:26). Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior is where you will find the end of your hungry soul.

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

3 thoughts on “The Hungry Soul

1. spendomai says:

Great post! I particularly liked this “Though sin seems to satisfy one’s soul, it is in fact emptying it out, creating a stronger hunger. ” Imagine what happens when that thing that you have made your ultimate thing is lost, utter despair! If you haven’t read Tim Keller’s book ‘Counterfeit Gods’ I’d highly recommend it!

2. Correct.. the soul is unregenerate, self seeking and looking for the ‘sin’ that pleases. It’s our spirit which needs regenerated to find satisfaction and fulfillment via the HS.

3. SaintlySages says:

Excellent thoughts on the emptiness of sin. Thanks, David. God bless!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: